Nothing beats a gorgeous new pair of shoes. As the saying goes, give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world. Of course, it also applies to boys, as they also look their best in a charming pair of new shiny shoes, right? Shoes are the finishing touch on any outfit and it is important to complete a look with the perfect pair.
Kids shoes are adorable and there are lots of options out there, but it is important to choose sensibly when little feet are concerned. We would like to share with you the main aspects to consider when buying shoes for children. This way you can find a lovely design without compromising on comfort and rest assured that both style and well-being are checked off on your list.
1- TOP QUALITY
Teeny tiny feet are irresistible and kissing them is a favorite game for new parents that makes babies deliriously happy. When children are very young their soles are more sensitive than their hands, so everything that comes in contact with them should be of the highest quality.
Good shoes are made of good materials: it might seem obvious, but it is always worth remembering. Natural materials like leather or canvas will guarantee your child will be wearing breathable, flexible shoes that provide the right support without being too stiff. All its components have to be of the same top quality, both inside and out, as well as other pieces like buckles or laces, and pay special attention to finishing details, like invisible seams and impeccable joints.
Our feet hold our body weight every day, and inadequate shoes are not only uncomfortable, they can also potentially cause painful problems. In addition, falls are most frequent among those who wear poorly fitting footwear, which can be especially dangerous for young walkers still unstable on their feet. A good pair of children shoes has to provide all of these things:
- Right support. The ankle should offer extra padding that also benefits the sensitive skin of the foot and prevents abrasions and blisters. The heel has to be soft and stable.
- Secure grip. Kids have to feel safe in their shoes, so non slippery soles are a must for all ages, and even more so for the very young ones.
- Right size. If children wear the incorrect size aside from the lack of comfort they will be forced to walk in an unnatural way, which can lead to them acquiring bad habits and forced postures. Make sure their shoes are big enough for them, but remember that too big is almost as bad as too small. The right size should allow enough space at the front for toes to fit comfortably both in length and in width, but keep in mind that during regular walking feet spread out up to 1 centimeter, so the shoe should be between 1 and 1.5 centimeter longer than the foot. Shoes have to be discarded once the toes are pressed against the front, and that means changing shoes every few months in our kids’ first years. It is better to measure the feet at the end of the day, when they are the most dilated, and to try on both shoes as one foot is always a bit longer than the other.
- Adjustable fit. Children's feet come in all shapes and they can differ greatly in width, so look for shoes with adjustable straps, laces, elastic panels and flexible materials that can contribute to a perfect fit for their specific needs.
- Season appropriate. Natural breathable materials are always the best choice, but prioritize good insulation and a warm feeling for winter and lighter, cooler options for summer.
Deciding on the style is a matter of personal tastes, but we always recommend going for timeless designs that will never be outdated. Classic, traditional shoes that can be easily combined with both casual and smarter outfits.
We all agree that comfort and quality should be the top priorities when choosing kids´s shoes, but they have to go hand in hand with fashion and style for us to be completely satisfied. Luckily for you, here at Amaia Kids we have done our homework!
Our shoes are lovingly designed by us with your children in mind. We enjoy updating classic designs and making them suitable for modern life, and we are proud to say that our shoes are hard wearing and fancy looking at the same time. They are made in Spain, using only traditional methods and crafts and taking advantage of the experience and skill of the artesans we work with. We also carefully monitor the whole manufacturing process, from the selection of the best materials to the finishing touches, in order to ensure that each pair of shoes is perfect before they reach your child's delicate feet.
Because there is more to shoes than just fashion: it is estimated that in an average lifetime we will use our feet to walk the equivalent of five times the circumference of the earth. By choosing the right shoes for our kids, we are also in a way giving them a good start on their journey around the world, making sure they can walk comfortably in their own shoes. So when we read together our beloved book “Oh the places you’ll go”, by Dr. Seuss we still won't know where life will take them, but we can at least feel confident that they will get there wearing good shoes, both figuratively and literally...
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You´re on your own. And you know what you know.
And you are the guy who'll decide where to go”