We are sure you have heard about the "baby fever" phenomenon, that emotion one gets after holding, seeing or being around a baby that makes one yearn for one. It is of course a temporary feeling and not a real sentiment, but right now we are getting an acute case of it.
It might be caused by the arrival of the spring, the season of new beginnings where fresh buds bloom around us, animals awaken and welcome their young and everything seems to come to life again. But let's be honest, it also has something to do with the expectation that surrounds the imminent arrival of the new royal baby. Not that we needed an excuse, obviously, because we have a weakness for babies, royal or not, and just the thought of newborns make our hearts flutter every time.
Here at Amaia Kids we have always enjoyed creating the very special pieces that brand new babies will wear during those memorable first weeks, and now we are proud to launch our Newborn section, specially developed for our favourite customers. Here you can find our sweetest pieces, get inspired by our newborn looks and find the perfect present in our gift library.
We have put a lot of effort and dedication to make sure every piece is perfect, not only beautiful but also practical, and we hope you will enjoy browsing this section as much as we have enjoyed planning it. So whether you are preparing the arrival of your very own bundle of joy or searching the best gift, please take a look at our cutest collection.
We love everything on display and we know it is not always easy to choose among so many sweet options, so here you can find some pointers to keep in mind and help you decide.
It can be hard to predict which size the baby will need at first, as we don't know the weight at birth. Some larger babies might skip the newborn sizes completely, and some tiny ones might be in newborn clothes for months. Also, babies seem to grow overnight! As a rule of thumb, it is better to buy larger, but do take account of the season, as lightweight summer pieces are no use in winter, and the other way round.
The conventional choice is blue for a boy and pink for a girl, as we discussed in pretty in pink and little boy blue, but that is not always the preferred option and some parents prefer more neutral colours. In many cases, the gender of the baby is not revealed until the birth, so the neutral tones are also a safe option if we are buying ahead of it.
We are very proud of our oat coloured pieces, as they are equally sweet for boys and girls an perfect for gifts.
3- Soft, top quality fabrics
New babies have sensitive, delicate skin, so soft materials are a must. Natural fibers are always better, and pure cotton is the best for newborns, specially for the spring and summer months.
Newborns can be wriggly so you want pieces that are easy to put on and take off and that allow quick changes. Most babies don't like having clothes pulled over their head, so it is preferable to go with designs that can be lowered down over their body and removed quickly, or that have a stretchy neck hole, better for sliding gently over a newborn's head.
All our clothes feature elasticated waistbands, stretchy leg openings, press-stud fastening or snaps and easy-fastening buttons, so dressing time can be a joyous bonding opportunity for parents and baby and not a stressful task.
Anything that can come off baby clothing can be a choking hazard, so you want to make sure items like buttons or strings are firmly attached and can resist tugging and pulling. Also check that there are no seams or tags that can scratch or pinch.
All our garments are made in Spain by our carefully selected providers and lovingly hand finished so you can have absolute peace of mind.
6- Layette essentials
A layette is basically a baby's first wardrobe, a collection of clothes a newborn will need at the very beginning. Infants grow quickly and it is difficult to predict how many of each item a baby will need before she changes sizes, but everything on this list is an absolute must-have.
- Tops: with plenty of room in the neck and snaps so they slip easily over the baby's head. Many parents prefer bodysuit styles, but it is a matter of choice. They are versatile and easy to wear and if you pick pieces with lovely details like cute collars they will make the most of any outfit.
- Bottoms: Separates come in handy for quick changes. Look for stretchy waistbands that fit easily over the baby's belly and expand comfortably as she gains weight. Long knitted pants or bloomers are irresistible when combined with matching tops or as part of a set.
- All in ones: a classic, traditional choice for newborns, equally adorable in knitted styles or in classy embroidered cotton. Perfect for the warm months.
- Cardigans: most babies don't like having clothes pulled over their head, so warm up your baby with a softly knit cardigan with buttons down the front and a round neck.
- Socks or booties: keep those adorable baby toes warm and cosy! Newborns don't need shoes but it is advisable to protect their precious feet when you are out and about, and soft socks and knitted booties are some of the most adorable tiny pieces of a baby's wardrobe.
- Baby bonnets: knitted bonnets in soft cotton will keep baby's head warm and add to the cuteness of any newborn's outfit.
- Blankets: soft cotton blankets in classic pastel colours are a gorgeous choice, an unmissable accessory and the perfect keepsake for when the baby days are over. They are great for swaddling and general wrapping and make a lovely addition to the nursery. Practical and lovely, blankets are also the perfect gift. Match them with a bonnet and booties for extra cuteness, as in the traditional layettes of the past when every newborn would receive a knitted set.
Buying itty bitty clothes for a newborn is always a lovely experience, so please go ahead and enjoy yourself. We know we will!